Sunday, October 28, 2012

Soap on a Stick

I love the way this fragrance oil smells. It took me a while to decide how I wanted to design the soap, and when I finally decided on what I was going to do, lo and behold, the soap overheated and I got soap on a stick.
 
When I realized that my batch was about to seize, I sprung into action. Since the batter was hardening by the second, I understood that there was no way I was going to stir the colorant into the soap batter. Instead, I literally dug my glove into the soap and attempted to mix the colorant into the soap by squishing it between my fingers. Ugh. I did read somewhere that you can wait until the soap gels (the chemical reaction that causes the soap to become hot and helps to make the colors brighter) and then it will mold easily, but I have not read enough about it to feel comfortable trying it. Besides the fact that, since this was a goat milk soap, the milk will scorch if it overheats. I slapped each layer into the mold as quickly as possible, banged it on the floor as hard as I could in the hopes of making sure all of the layers were actually touching each other, and carefully placed it in the freezer (it was already getting pretty hot). My hope was that the soap was at least salvageable.

I inadvertently caused this mishap by trying a new technique with the goat milk. Instead of freezing the milk, I decided to use water to dissolve the lye, and then add the goat milk when I was mixing the soap batter. Basically, I was attempting this out of laziness. It didn't work out too well. 


Even though it did not turn out as planned, I was pleasantly surprised when I cut this soap log. The corners are not quite square since the soap batter was so hard and thick that it was difficult to get into the corners of the mold. But that is definitely not as big of a deal as it could have been.

The color is not quite accurate in this picture. Everything is actually different shades of purple. These photos are not the best, so I will take more when I have some natural light. The soaps are much prettier in person.

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Vendor Show Set Up

Mom and I have been working on making the vendor show set up more eye appealing. Here is our set-up from Stanton Trade Days last weekend.



It's much better, but we still need some work. The entrance into the tent is not really user friendly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Fun Finds

     I found some fantabulous molds on Amazon and Etsy this past month, and I couldn't wait to put them to use. Although I haven't finished the flower soap, the Christmas soap looks great and smells even better. The spearmint and peppermint essential oil blend are reminiscent of Christmastime. That being said, these soaps will be ready early to mid-November, which is perfect timing for a Christmas stocking stuffer or Secret Santa gift. 
     
     In addition, I have been obsessed with trying to find a pretty plum soap colorant for some time, and I think I may have found just the one. The Conservatorie had tons of micas that should not morph or fade in soap, so I had to order several. I especially like the pale green, although it looks different than the picture, I can definitely find a project or two for this shade. Since purples often tend to turn gray in soap, I am praying that this one will work!

My Christmas mold arrived from Amazon, just in time to make some soap for the holidays!

These 3D flowers are going to be super cool.

My new mica stash.

Winter Mint, in the mold.

Cut and now curing!

These smell yummy!