Sunday, February 24, 2013

New Projects

Laziness has gotten the better of me lately, and I haven't made soap in about two weeks, but I received some vanilla oleoresin 20X (that means it was folded 20 times to increase its strength), that I ordered a while back, and I was dying to try it. Vanilla oleoresin has been shown in scientific studies to have a calming effect on people. It is also used as an aphrodisiac.
This is what it looked like out of the bottle. It is so thick that I had to warm it in a water bath before pouring.


Let me just say that I was hesitant to use this in soap. After researching how others used it in cold-process soap, I decided to shake it vigorously before using and to add at medium trace. I blended it with orange essential oil and added dried orange peel. Orange peel contains vitamin C, folic acid, vitamin B1, beta-carotene, and numerous other vitamins and minerals. Due to its high flavonoid content, orange peel acts as an anti-microbial and anti-bacterial agent in skincare products. I also added Rhassoul clay for it's ability to absorb oils.


Since the vanilla oleoresin is dark brown, the soap turned dark brown as well. I left some of the soap batter unscented and uncolored. Here is the finished product in the mold, topped with sugar beads and, of course, iridescent glitter! The vanilla scent is not strong, but we will see how well it sticks when it's cut.


Today I also soaped White Tea and Ginger, one of my all-time favorites! Included in the recipe are buttermilk and goat milk, aloe vera juice, shea butter, and apricot kernel oil, among other great skin-loving ingredients. This soap is colored with aqua green, cocoa brown, and eggplant purple. The purple will change color over the next few days, but I'm hoping that it sticks.



2 comments:

  1. Pretty soaps April! Did you add fragrance to the vanilla soap or does the oleoresin fragrance come through?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not use vanilla fo and the oleoresin scent is coming through at the moment. I am hoping it sticks!

    ReplyDelete